Look on the top left hand side for school supply lists.
Yonkers Public Schools
Achieving Excellence Together
Family School 32
1 Montclair Place
Yonkers, New York 10710
Tel. 914 376-8595
Fax 914 376-8597
Dr. Michael Yazurlo
Susan V. Fierson
August 18, 2014
Dear Parents and Students,
Welcome to Family School 32. We are looking forward to another great year. We hope you had a relaxing and fun filled summer and are ready to begin another exciting new school year!
It is my pleasure to welcome our new Assistant Principal, Mr. Michael Jacobs. Mr. Jacobs was the Assistant Principal at Foxfire School for two years and has a background as a guidance counselor for grades K-8. We wish our former Assistant Principal, Mr. Tripaldi, good luck as he assumed a principal position in Connecticut.
Summer Learning Packets in ELA and Math went home with students in June to help prepare them for the new school year. We are expecting that students return their completed packets by Monday, September 22, 2014.
Mr. Jacobs and I will be enforcing the School Uniform Policy this year. All students in grades PK-8 must wear Yellow tops and Navy Blue bottoms. Parents, we are asking you to support our efforts as studies have shown that students are more focused and schools become safer and with fewer incidents occurring when students wear uniforms.
Our new Mission Statement marks the beginning of a fresh new year of learning. The focus for this school will be raising student academic achievement through a rigorous curriculum that aligns with the Common Core Learning Standards. We will continue to use the Journeys Reading Program for grades K-6, the Envisions Math Program for grades K-5 and Core Connections for grades 6-8.
Our goal at Family School 32 is to form an alliance with parents, students and staff to raise student academic performance; making them ready for college and future careers, and to foster a safe, nurturing child-centered school environment. To achieve this goal, parents, we ask for your commitment to work with your children each evening to ensure all schoolwork is completed and materials are ready for the next day. Have conversations with your children about what they are learning and how you can support their achievements. We encourage you to maintain consistent and ongoing communication with your child’s teacher. This will help boost student performance and address concerns that may arise throughout the year. Working together, we will experience a joint sense of pride as we share in the success of our students.
The first day of school is Thursday, September 4th, 2014 and it will be a full day of school (8:35-3:15) for K-8 students.
Please note the important information below regarding the opening of school:
· School hours: 8:35 – 3:15 p.m. No student is permitted to be dropped off before 8:25
· Dismissal begins at 3:05 p.m.
· Breakfast begins at 8:15 a.m.
We are looking forward to seeing you on September 4th.
Susan V. Fierson
· Grades PK/K meet their teachers under the veranda to the right of the school
· Grades 1-5 meet their teachers in the Playground to the right of the school
· Grades 6-8 meet their teachers in the Playground to the left of the school
· Students taking a bus or are having breakfast please note the following: Bus children are escorted to the cafeteria for breakfast or walk to the playground to meet their teachers.
· If you are bringing your child to school, please follow the guidelines for drop off (grades PK-8 in designated areas in front of school).
· INCLEMENT WEATHER PROCEDURES
(rain, snow or 32 degrees or below)
PK-5 Students report to the Gym
6-8 Students report to the Cafeteria
· Please review this information with your child. All students are expected to know their designated spots.
· At 3:00 p.m. grades PK/K/1 students are picked up and brought to the cafeteria for bus dismissal. Walkers and Pick-ups are escorted to the front lobby by their teachers.
· Students report to the cafeteria when their bus is called.
· At 3:14 p.m. teachers escort all students who are walkers or pick-ups to the front lobby.
· All walkers or pick-ups are dismissed at 3:15 p.m.
IMPORTANT OTHER PROCEDURES
· Parents of PK, K and 1 students, please make sure your child has a name tag and place it on your child for the first several days of school. The tag should include your child’s full name, grade/class and bus number.
· Breakfast is paid for on a daily basis and money is given directly to the cafeteria staff when the child takes his/her breakfast. Breakfast is available for $1.25 each day or for $.25 if you qualify for this service through your lunch application.
· Students must pay for their lunch on a daily basis or bring a bag lunch (unless you qualify for free or reduced lunch). Lunch costs $2.75 or $.25 for a reduced price. Milk can be purchased for $.35. A hot lunch is served every full day of school.
· Lunch applications will be distributed to your child on the first full day of school (September 4th). Please submit this application to school or your Certificate of Qualification.
· The Yonkers School District will, once again, be using the telephone messaging system, ‘Connect-ED’, whereby school and district messages can be received through your phone number.
· THEREFORE, PLEASE KEEP US INFORMED OF ALL PHONE NUMBER CHANGES AND MAKE SURE WE HAVE A CELL NUMBER WHERE YOU CAN BE REACHED AT ALL TIMES.
· You can also access information about our schools at www.yonkerspublicschools.org or at the E-Chalk site for the Family School website.
· SCHOOL UNIFORM:
1. Grades PK-8: yellow tops, navy blue bottoms – sneakers or rubber-soled shoes. The School Uniform Policy will be enforced this school year.
- Got a question? Please do not hesitate to call: (914) 376-8595. I look forward to working with all of you this year!
PARENTS AND STAFF
Family School 32 Safety and School Procedures
§ Parents drop off their children and pick-up their children by using the main entrance to the school.
· Parents sign in or sign students out in the office when necessary.
· ALL CHANGES IN YOUR CHILD’S SCHEDULE MUST BE IN WRITING AND SENT TO THE OFFICE. We CANNOT accept verbal changes from your child for bus, pick-up or walking home.
· If you are picking up your child early because of a doctor’s appointment or family emergency please submit a note to the main office.
· Did you change your phone number? Please inform the office.
· Parents are not allowed to take their child to his/her classroom. Please take your child to their designated spot.
· If your child is late they will need to get a late pass from the main office.
· Please call the office to set up an appointment to speak with the teacher.
· Students in grades 3-8 who live in the area are allowed to walk home, as per district policy, with a signed parent letter if they are walking home younger siblings.
· All students are expected to follow the Yonkers Public Schools Code of Conduct.
· Attendance and being ON TIME EACH DAY for school is essential for student success. Please send a note when your child is absent. If a child is absent due to a communicable disease (e.g. chicken pox), parents must call the office immediately. Then, a doctor’s note and an absent note are required upon the child’s return.
· Please avoid early pick-ups as it has a negative impact on student performance and it is disruptive to the student and class.
· Students must have a pass when in the hallway.
· The use of cell phones, IPods or MP3 players are not allowed during the school day. Please have your child keep these items at home. If your child takes the items out during the school day, they will be confiscated and a parent or guardian must pick up the confiscated item from school. The school is not responsible for lost items.
Click this symbol.
Student, Parents and Teachers - Try Safari Montage!
Safari Montage is a wonderful resource with lots of educational
video clips, quizzes, blackline masters, audio, visual images.
Schoolhouse Rock Videos, Magic School Bus, Arthur Stories,
Disney shows like "Super Why" , Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland,
History Channel, PBS, Schlessenger, Khan's Academy, Science,
NASA and many more. Common Core Standards are available
to find video clips that align with them. There are also many videos in Spanish and other languages. Some videos also have close captions.
To try it - click above or the side bar with the name "Safari Montage". Download Safari Montage's Media player . Use Family School 32's
usual student computer log in , in order to get on to the program.
Once in - click the letter "F" for Family School 32.
Choose Family School 32. Then begin searching for the video clips.
There is a Tutorial button on the left hand side under the video screen.
Any questions? Email Mrs. Haviland - email@example.com